Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Combofix : Safemode or not ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:35 am 

Hiya.
An interesting point brought up in another post, whereby it is suggested combo fix is run in normal mode as opposed to safemode. (Ref A1C-James, cheers)

Yes or No.

I always run it in safe mode as I believe it is able to detect nasties normally hidden during normal operation. Also I believe it runs into problems with loaded AV programs.

It is suggested that running in safe mode, with the latest rootkit ZeroAccess, can do more damage than good.

I thought it was a safe mode only program. Am I wrong ?

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk ........ Whilst proclaiming the machine fixed, grabbing the cash and running like hell.

Post subject: Re: Combofix : Safemode or not ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 am 

I only run combofix in safe mode when I have to, i.e. I will always run it in 'normal' mode, as a lot of 'infections' these days only come out in specific user accounts (like the hide desktop and documents types).

IT network and systems administrator
for professionals and small to medium size businesses
http://www.UnisoftDesign.co.uk

Post subject: Combofix : Safemode or not ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 pm 

Interesting.

I thought it wasn't user specific.

I thought that running it in safe mode under the "admin" profile meant that its search would "propagate" through to the other user profiles.

Do I understand this correctly?
Does it have to be run separately on each user profile ?

Or have I got wrong (again:))

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk ........ Whilst proclaiming the machine fixed, grabbing the cash and running like hell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 pm 

Hey bertie,

Combofix is user specific because of the way the windows registry works. As an example loading any profile, the HKLM hive of the windows registry is always accessible since it stores all the vital system information but the HKCU hive only loads per individual profile. Also the HKCU registry hive is not located in the C:\windows\system32\config folder but rather in each separate users file folder.

Actually this is not entirely true as the all User profile hives are actually loaded into the windows registry but not under HKCU. All user profiles that are active and non active are located within the HK_USERS extension which are uniquely named as S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX. The S-X-X-X numbers represent the profile type, security access, and restrictions.

Since each user profile is uniquely named this would make it a problem for combofix to isolate and chooses only to read the HKCU hive. However, this is merely a delema as there is indeed a way to bypass this problem. In windows XP you can always right click on combofix and choose "Run As" then enter the credentials of the user you wish to scan. This is also possible with windows 7 but you need to be running a non restricted admin account. you can access the default administrators account.

you can access the non restricted admin account by opening command prompt with administrator privileges then type in net user administrator /active:yes . however this account is disabled specifically to avoid infection so when your done be sure to repeat the process and type in net user administrator /active:no

Sales@A1Computers.ca
http://www.a1computers.ca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 pm 

I only run it real mode after I have manually removed malicious items with a ERD disk. Just need to make sure you disable your internet protection before you run it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 pm 

yeah I love ERD and MSdart. they are extremely useful and powerful tools. I got the whole set.

Sales@A1Computers.ca
http://www.a1computers.ca

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]