Change font size
It is currently Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: PSU tester that does load testing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:56 am 

anyone know of an in-line tester or one that can do load testing? the one thing I run into with PSUs are the ones that good readings till they are under any type of a load. I do have this one. but it has failed me a few times. Saying all is well but the system fails when you try to start it, and a new PSu solves the problem.

Post subject: Re: PSU tester that does load testing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 am 

The only thing a PSU tester can reliably prove is that the PSU is bad. No lights, no power. Use the tester to prove to yourself (and the customer) that it's bad. Best way to test beyond that is to swap out the PS.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 pm 

Agree with Doc, Just use a multimeter and test for the diffrent voltages.

Bri from Britec Computers has provided a good vid on how to do this :arrow: http://youtu.be/ac7YMUcMjbw.

Steve Boylan
Steves IT Solutions

P: (+44) 0771 912 3385
W: http://www.stevescomputerfix.co.uk/
E: email: info@stevescomputerfix.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:51 pm 

As you obviously already know, power supply voltages can read just fine until the PSU is put under realistic load and then with switching power supplies, things can get wacky. I have seen some testers around which can simulate a PC load, but they are larger console tools. I guess you must make your own. What so hard about routing the power going into the tester, back out the other side to the PC motherboard? So that the tester simply sits on the line and let the PC provide the actual load. The ones by Coolmax, Manhattan and Antec don't appear to do this and it seems simple? And it would tell you if the PSU is underrated. Granted if the PC is the issue, it might not provide a load.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:36 am 

meClaudius wrote:
As you obviously already know, power supply voltages can read just fine until the PSU is put under realistic load and then with switching power supplies, things can get wacky. I have seen some testers around which can simulate a PC load, but they are larger console tools. I guess you must make your own. What so hard about routing the power going into the tester, back out the other side to the PC motherboard? So that the tester simply sits on the line and let the PC provide the actual load. The ones by Coolmax, Manhattan and Antec don't appear to do this and it seems simple? And it would tell you if the PSU is underrated. Granted if the PC is the issue, it might not provide a load.

you can test the molex and sata connections while the computer is running but that is all, and it only gives you the green led good lights, not the lcd display. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:12 pm 

There is no logical reason why PSU testers can't test electrical loads, its just that all the makers of the PSU testers right now are lame. What is needed is for the Guys at Fluke to make a PSU tester that actually puts the power supply under a load. When they capture the lions share of the market then the other bone heads will wise up and make proper gear. Right now as it stands it's a niche market with a bunch of fly by night operators selling junk.....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]